[kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Apr 22 14:14:20 UTC 2013

On Monday, 2013-04-22, James Tyrer wrote:
> On 04/20/2013 08:20 PM, Duncan wrote:

> > Well, a lot of freedomware is originally written by "kids" in college.
> > When they graduate and get a family and a job... often times they quit
> > contributing so much as they simply don't have the time any more, and the
> > next generation of college kids takes their place.
>
> That is puzzling.  If KDE is made up of college students.  What would
> they have against someone that had served their 4 years?

Well, I think the original assessment wasn't that accurate :)

While a lot of contributors are students due to their enormous availability of
time, most projects are lead, mentored or at least reviewed by more
experienced people.

This is basically one of the main incentives for people to contribute to FOSS
projects, the possibility to learn from people with way more experience in
some domain.
That can be the same domain, e.g. young software engineer learning from a
senior engineer, but also across domains, e.g. a software engineer (even a
senior one) learning from a localization expert or interaction designer.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring