[kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 22 06:23:46 UTC 2013

On 04/20/2013 08:20 PM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Sat, 20 Apr 2013 13:14:17 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> On 04/19/2013 10:11 PM, Duncan wrote:
>
>>> I think that kget may be a holdover from the dialup connection era.
>>
>> Don't see what it has to do with dial up, but rather
>> file_length/connection_speed.  I am out in the country and have only 150
>> KiB/sec and long files still exist.
>
> You're correct, but it's more than connection speed.  It's also the shut
> down (and/or turn off the network connection) when done options and etc,
> that used to be commonly used with dialup, but aren't so commonly used in
> the (nearly) always-on, always connected, era.  To someone with a
> reasonable (say megabit-ish, tho even half-megabit isn't /too/ bad) speed
> always on connection that last used dialup (and such options) back before
> the turn of the century, they really do seem like an anachronism, out of
> another century both literally and figuratively.
>
> But if you're getting ~150 KiB/sec, that's ~1.2 megabit speeds, which
> isn't /that/ shabby!  Unless you mean 1.5 kbps (kilobit, not kilobyte,
> per second).  I ran 608 kbps DSL for awhile and yeah, it takes a bit
> longer than multi-megabit speeds, but I found that having an always-on
> connection was at least as important as the speed, here, and as I said,
> anything above ~ a half megabit (512kbps) isn't /that/ bad.
>
> But if you actually mean 150 kbps, then yes, I certainly sympathize, altho
> as I said if it's at least always-on, and even then, being 3-5 times
> dialup speed, it's not /terrible/.

No, My DSL peaks out at about 160 kilo-Bytes/sec.

>> Since Konqueror has no builtin
>> download manager, KGet is necessary to see how downloads are
>> progressing, although FTP downloads can be handled as copying.  Long
>> files are sometimes still interrupted although it is rarer.  KGet does
>> have more features than the download managers built into Firefox and
>> Google-Chrome.  It also has Torrent support built in.
>
> I always seemed to have no problems with either konqueror's or firefox's
> progress indicators.  Tho you're right that kget has more features that
> could be used on slower links.
>
> However, until I got a multi-megabit connection, I always made it a point
> to watch the download speed and never try to download more than one thing
> at a time unless it was bottlenecking at the server, not my end.  If
> you're setting up a whole slew of downloads at once, then yeah, they'll
> all take longer, and a download manager might well help.  But I always
> figured I'd rather use all the bandwidth serially, and be able to work
> with the first file while I waited for the next, so even back on dialup,
> I didn't end up using the download managers /that/ much.  (Altho I /did/
> use them on MS, still doing one file at a time but using a download
> manager that opened multiple connections to different mirrors to get it,
> because the MS Windows 9x connection management was so terrible that one
> /had/ to do that.  But while I installed a similar multi-connection
> download manager in Linux early on, I soon discovered I didn't need it in
> Linux, and uninstalled it.)

I am sometimes surprised to find that a download is slow due to a server
that is much slower than my relatively slow connection speed.

>>> that no longer has a real maintainer, and that is simply being held
>>> together by hacks from some other kde dev when something breaks, until
>>> it eventually gets to be no longer worth maintaining, would explain the
>>> hacks you see in the code, etc.
>>
>> This might explain why it wasn't fixed, but doesn't explain why it was
>> written wrong to begin with.
>
> Well, a lot of freedomware is originally written by "kids" in college.
> When they graduate and get a family and a job... often times they quit
> contributing so much as they simply don't have the time any more, and the
> next generation of college kids takes their place.

That is puzzling.  If KDE is made up of college students.  What would
they have against someone that had served their 4 years?

> Anyway...

On question you missed is Plasma.  I have never looked at the plasma
code, but usually the type of instability that Plasma exhibits is caused
by code race conditions.  You don't mention if there are any plans to
completely rewrite it from the ground up?  Or, what will be done with it?

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch