[kde-linux] KDE-4.10.1 - Pager sort of a mess

Paul Hartman paul.hartman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 13:58:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    I updated to KDE-4.10.1 last week when it became stable on Gentoo.
> It's working but I find the new version of Pager not as useful as
> previous versions. In this version, instead of making the current
> desktop noticeably lighter in color, it seems I'm only getting a few
> white pixels at the corners of the selected desktop. To me this isn't
> visible on a 1920x1080 screen at an arm's length. I have to lean
> forward and change focus to find out which one is active. Using the
> older version I only had to glance to the bottom left and I'd see
> which was selected very easily.
>
>    I wonder if anyone has found any settings that might make this more
> readable for me? The Desktop Name & Number features don't help but
> maybe there's something buried elsewhere I haven't found.

Hi Mark, long time no see.

As far as I can tell on my system, nothing has changed about the
pager. The only time it's difficult to see which desktop is active is
when I have no windows open on any of them, in that case one of them
has a slight "glow" around the border but is otherwise
indistinguishable. When windows are present, though, it's obvious. The
current desktop then is almost white, while the others are a dark
grey. I'm sure this is highly dependent on theme/wallpaper/etc. and
probably some combinations result in worse contrast than others.

I believe it uses the text color/inactive text color from your theme
and uses gamma to darken/brighten the thumbnail desktop indicators. So
I would try changing/adjusting/reapplying your theme, turn desktop
effects off/on (if you use them), ensure your video driver is not
doing anything funky that might mess with gamma rendering... I think
I've read that KDE and Qt should all be compiled with the same version
of GCC, so if you've upgraded your compiler lately maybe that has
something to do with it.

Good luck!