[kde-linux] How to Get the Combination of NTFS-3g and Konqueror (as a file manager) to consume less CPU

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Sep 18 11:59:30 UTC 2012

On Monday, 2012-09-03, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Now, it dual boots between Windows 7 x86-64 (which I hardly use) and
> Mageia Linux 2 x86-64. Since I have a lot of space in my Windows 7
> partition, I decided to use it to store many of my music files, so
> they get stored at /media/win_d/Music/mp3 , which has this as its
> /etc/fstab
> entry:
>
> UUID=24A43690A4366488 /media/win_d ntfs-3g defaults,umask=022 0 0

I have my Windows partition mounted like this:
/dev/sda5       /data/share     auto
rw,user,noexec,noatime,umask=002,gid=users,utf8         0       0

I am using Dolphin as file manager but my guess is that this doesn't make much
difference (I think Konqueror is using the same file manager library when being
used in file manager mode).

There is no CPU usage difference between viewing a directory on that mount
point or not.

System is Debian, kernel is 3.3.0, ntfs-3g is 1:2012.1.15AR.6-1, Qt is 4.8.4,
KDE is 4.8.4, Dolphin is 2.0

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring