[kde-linux] icon not showing in K menu

Jethro Tull heavytull at hotmail.com
Mon May 28 19:17:46 UTC 2012

I'm using Slackware 13.37 with KDE 4; I wrote a script for this software to make a Slackware package in which I specified the sub-menu .menu file to be placed in /etc/kde/xdg/menus/applications-merged/ and the icon for this sub-menu in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/categories. There is one application in this sub-menu. I placed its icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps, /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps and /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps. At the end of the installation the script runs these programs to update menus and mime:
/usr/bin/update-desktop-database -q usr/share/applications
/usr/bin/update-mime-database usr/share/mime
/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache usr/share/icons/hicolor

Icons nevertheless do not show up in the K menu for the software sub-menu entry and also for the application in that sub-menu. But they both do in the K menu editor in the "General tab". Some other entries in the software sub-menu using the icon "utilities-terminal" have their icon showing up as normal. The problem is the same even after restarting the computer.