[kde-linux] KDE 4.7.3 and the clock being cut off

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Jun 6 15:20:00 UTC 2012

Dale posted on Sat, 26 Nov 2011 05:19:39 -0600 as excerpted:

> Duncan wrote:
>> Dale posted on Sat, 26 Nov 2011 00:48:12 -0600 as excerpted:
>>
>>> I noticed after a recent upgrade that my clock is being weird.  When I
>>> click on the clock to pull up the calender, the right hand side is cut
>>> off.  I thought maybe it was just that it was going off screen so I
>>> moved it to the left a bit.  It still cuts off Saturday.  I can see
>>> the other days of the week but Saturday is gone.  I would like to have
>>> Saturday back.  I do have my fonts set to a bit larger than defaults.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else notice this?
>> Can't say I've noticed it, but then again, my "clock" is part of the
>> giant superkaramba theme I integrated all of the individual smaller
>> themes into.  I don't even have a clock plasmoid running any more, by
>> default.

Taking care of old threads I had marked for later processing...

How did this resolve?

>> Meanwhile, I'm thinking about trying 4.8-beta1, aka 4.7.80 (or even the
>> -9999 live-ebuilds, but for some reason I didn't see one for kdelibs,
>> last I checked, which was strange) but haven't, yet.  Now that I'm
>> running something else for mail and am thus kmail-less, kdepim-less and
>> akonadi-less, plus USE=-semantic-desktop, I'm not so worried about it
>> destroying a decade plus of mail, etc, as I was with kmail, and I
>> figure I can either live with or simply revert if necessary, for any
>> other bugs the beta might throw my way.

Which I did... all the 4.8 prereleases, and am now running 4.8.80 aka 4.9-
beta1, which is pretty nice, BTW.  There was a *LOT* of work on kwin, the
release plan notes a huge number of bug-and-wishlist-fixes, many going
back to kde3, so there's some significant new behavior there.  That's the
biggest positive thing I've noticed.

The biggest negative, mostly for gentooers and others doing their own
builds, is that somebody got the "bright" (not) idea of depending on
kdepimlibs for drkonqi, part of kdebase-runtime so assumed to be
installed with any full kde desktop.  Luckily drkonqi is a runtime, not a
lib, and only depended on (at least with what I have installed) by kde-
runtime-meta, so I was able to package.provide it.  But that left all the
other kdebase-runtime split-packages failing to configure, due to the
common cmake still looking for kdepimlibs, to fill the drkonqi dependency
when I wasn't installing drkonqi.  I ended up writing a patch to stick
in /etc/portage/patches/kde-base/*/ for one of them, then symlinking the
other dirs to that one to get the same patch.  But that's about 20
(didn't count, just by the feel of it) different packages requiring the
same patch!  So gentoo/kde is going to have to decide what to do there,
whether to add the dependency (which wasn't in the ebuilds yet, but it's
early days on the 4.9 path), or hopefully an eclass fix applied to
anything (but drkonqi) that uses the runtime sources tarball.

The problem of course not being kdepimlibs itself, but the fact that it
in turn drags in other dependencies (like ical) that I haven't the
faintest need of, at present, and thus don't want on my system.

Perhaps kde can be convinced to revert that dependency, but I doubt it.

>> Meanwhile, the point I'm making with the superkaramba clock comment
>> above is that simply stating "clock" isn't sufficient information to
>> try to duplicate it[.]  Which clock plasmoid, digital, analog,
>> fuzzy, binary, maybe a different clock plasmoid from kdelook, or a
>> superkaramba theme (which), or...?  Is it on the desktop or a panel?
>> [etc]
>>
> This is what I don't like about KDE4.  They have all these weird names
> for things. < sighs >
>
> The clock is digital and is located on the little panel on the bottom.

That was what was needed...

> Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I attached a picture of the
> thingy.  Notice how Saturday is missing?

Picture even better.  Looking at it and remembering, I believe there was
a bug around that period with the calendar display miscalculating size
(made worse at larger than default font sizes, likely your problem
there), due to an I believe then new feature of the holidays on the
(right) side.  One would hope it's fixed by now.  IIRC on gentoo there's
a USE flag (locale related) that controls that.  If its built with the
feature, as it will be for most distros, there's also an option that
controls it in kde settings.

I believe I have either the USE flag or the kde option or both off,
turned off after reading about and noticing the bug.  Turning it off
turns off the holidays on the side description, which I believe
alleviated the bug.

Too bad I didn't respond with that info in a timely manner, but it's
possible I didn't have the info about the bug yet, when you posted.

Anyway, hope it's fixed, by now.

> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Has anyone ever told you they like that "sig"?  Among other things, it's
really effective at defusing comments (of yours) that might otherwise be
taken wrong.  Not that you normally make such comments, but just in case
somebody was about to take them wrong.  Additionally, it's good at
reminding everybody to relax a bit if things are getting tense, even if
your posts had nothing to do with why it was tense, but people just
happen to read them at the right time.

I've specifically noted that effect reading your posts here, both a
couple times on the kde lists, and when you've posted, expressing a user
view, on the gentoo-dev list.

If I wasn't already using the (single) sig spot in my messages for other
purposes, I'd be likely to make use of that idea here, as well.
Actually, since it's little enough, I've thought about figuring out how
to incorporate it in my sig block, but haven't quite figured out how to
do it "right", without making it look out of place, etc.  Plus, as part
of a larger multi-element sig like mine, the effect would be reduced to
the point it'd likely be just more noise, so I've hesitated to add it.

But anyway, I like it, and just to let you know, it DOES have a
noticeable positive effect, and thus your posts often do as well, even
apart from the main content.  Thanks!