[kde-linux] S/PDIF sound

James bjlockie at lockie.ca
Sun Jul 15 23:20:08 UTC 2012

I use KDE-4.8.4 with digital sound (S/PDIF).
I upgraded my kernel and kaffeine broke (and I'm sure other apps).
The system sounds work, Amarok works, VLC works.
I think it has something to do with the alsa device order.
My default device was my tvtuner.
Card: Conexant CX23885

I changed /etc/asound.conf to have
ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}
and now alsaixer defaults to the right card:
Card: HDA ATI SB

1. Kaffeine errors and says it can't open the audio device.

2. kmix doesn't work.

3. The error dialog of kmix does a system beep which cuts off any other sound (eg. if I am playing music with Amarok, the audio stops when the system beeps but Amarok thinks it is still playing.