[kde-linux] Konqueror KDE-4.8 BRANCH

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jan 17 06:49:29 UTC 2012

Dale posted on Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:35:33 -0600 as excerpted:

> Duncan wrote:
>> yahoo-pier_andreit posted on Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:23:45 +0100 as
>> excerpted:

>>> I cannot find Tools ->  view filter in konqueror !!

>> Note that konqueror has several profiles and that when the
>> webbrowser personality is active, it probably won't show
>> the tools, view filter option

> Well, I selected File Manager mode and I still don't see it.  Actually,
> that's the only way I use Konqueror.  I do my web browsing with
> Seamonkey and sometimes Firefox.
>
> I'm on 4.7 if that matters.

I'm on 4.8-rc2, but I don't think that's it as I remember it being there
for awhile.  Maybe it's an add-on?

Actually, I just checked my /usr/lib64/kde4/ dir looking for potential
candidate *.so files, did a test rename on a likely candidate, and
confirmed that's it!  Here on gentoo/amd64 (x86 simply omit the 64 in the
path, other distros may have it in opt or elsewhere, but this should be
reasonably standard for the mainline distros):

/usr/lib/kde4/dirfilterplugin.so

equery belongs dirfilterplugin.so says:

kde-base/konq-plugins-4.7.97 (/usr/lib64/kde4/dirfilterplugin.so)

So for gentooers it's the konq-plugins package.  For other distros...
rpmfind.net says konqueror-plugins provides that for some distros
(OpenSuSE, for instance), konq-plugins (same as gentoo) for others
(centos/fedora/mandriva/mageia), and/or the larger unsplit metapackages
kdebase (fedora) or kde-baseapps (fedora rawhide, the 4.8 rcs).

If I knew a site like rpmfind for debian-based distros, I'd check it as
well, but I don't, so...  But one way or another, that should provide
enough info to find it in debian-based and other distros as well, since
most distros provide /some/ way to lookup package based on a filename,
and most will use something close to the above package names in any case.