[kde-linux] KDE-4.8 "public Beta" Unstable Plasma Panel

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 1 00:54:26 UTC 2012

So, I installed the current KDE-4.8 BRANCH and again, it should not be
called a Release Candidate.  I for got why it is that I usually make
pointed comments about KDE.  So, I just spent most of an hour trying to
get my panel configured.  It is simply MADDENING or MADDING (an old
grammar argument: "Far From the Madding Crowd").  The work "Hubris" is
not sufficient to describe the problem.

Three icons no longer had their correct icon image but rather had the
"unknown" icon.  Can't see how this would happen.

Fixing that, I found a REGRESSION.  That thing that pops up on the end
of a panel when you unlock widgets is again taking up space.  This has
been fixed previously.

Might I suggest that there must be a better solution to this than the
"Panel Tool Box [sic]" (note that in my dictionary that 'toolbox' is one
word).  I note that when widgets are unlocked that the menu for icons on
the panel and the panel contain an additional item: "Remove this ...".
Couldn't this be handled with an addition to the menu?  Oh wait! it is
already there under: PanelOptions.  So the: Panel Tool Box [sic] is
redundant.

After wasting considerable time, I find that there is a new bug.  When I
lock widgets, the content of the top panel moves to the (my) right
pushing the right most icon slightly off the edge and leaving a small
space on the left end.  That would also be a REGRESSION -- possibly
related to the first one.

"I just can't stand it!"  ... Charlie Brown (aka Charles Schultz)

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch