[kde-linux] 'Fetch Error' on exit

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Feb 8 09:12:07 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, 2012-02-08, Duncan wrote:

> What is akonadi?  It's the common database middleware that all of kdepim
> is gradually converting to use.

I wouldn't describe it as a database middleware since the database is an
implementation detail. Firefox isn't a database browser just because it
happens to use an SQLite database for tracking browsing history and stuff.

> It can actually use one of several
> database backends, including mysql (the original default) and sqlite (the
> newer default).

Just to clarify for other readers: this is about Gentoo's defaults.

> But upstream kde/kdepim are no longer updating the older 4.4.x version,
> so it'll gradually get more and more difficult to keep it working with
> current kde, until various distros decide to drop it.

While it is not being worked on right now I wouldn't assume it will get more
difficult to keep working.
I am currently running an unchanged Kontact 4.4 on KDE 4.7 and it continues to
work without any problem, so I would not expect an upgrade to KDE 4.8 to cause
any either.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring