[kde-linux] LCD weather widget not finding noaa stations

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Dec 25 15:27:48 UTC 2012

Duncan posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 21:04:48 +0000 as excerpted:

> I somehow got the impression at some point (IDR how), that certain
> plasmoids use $TMPDIR for storing their update file, then try to RENAME
> (NOT move or copy, RENAME) to the final location.  Since my $TMPDIR is
> on tmpfs (with the user's tmpdir symlinked into it from its default
> location in ~/tmp), that doesn't work so well, as renames across
> filesystems simply doesn't work (while moves or copies and then deletes,
> would work).
>
> But I would have /thought/ that would have been fixed quite some
> versions ago, and had forgotten about it.
>
> But now I'm wondering if that's the root problem behind both your broken
> LCD-weather and my broken ability to add new comics to comic-strip.

Well, I tried messing with the TMPDIR (and KDETMPDIR), no effect.

* Comic-strip will install new comics, and they'll say installed in the
GHNS (get hot new stuff, the kde extension that integrates kdelook for
downloading kde user supplied whatever) applet, and I can even close it
and plasma and restart and it'll still say installed, but the new comics
won't show up in the display list!  TMPDIR settings don't seem to matter.

* LCD-weather seems to work here, I tried Tupelo, MS, from a few
different providers, and a few other random sites, no problem.  Again,
TMPDIR settings don't seem to matter.

So, it doesn't seem that the TMPDIR settings matter for either of us, but
FWIW, LCD-weather DOES seem to work here, just as yawp does.

Stranger and stranger!

For my comic-strip problem, I guess the next thing to do here is take my
own advice, and see if a clean user config has the comic-strip problems
I'm seeing with my normal user...