[kde-linux] lost part of shell screen

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Aug 31 09:52:34 UTC 2012

Anne Wilson posted on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:32:51 +0100 as excerpted:

> On 31/08/12 01:22, Dennis Foreman wrote:

>> Yes, the menu bar for Konqueror. I
>> use a fullscreen interface provided by my IT people in a virtual
>> machine environment. I have figured out that the GUI and the shell are
>> not the same and I apologize (again) for having used the wrong term.
>>
> Something odd there, then, since Ctrl-m does hide or show the menu bar
> in my Konqueror.  Sorry, I've really no idea what has caused your
> corruption.
>
> As a matter of interest, did you delete konquerorrc or rename it?  If
> you renamed it you could check them alongside each other, or diff them.
> At least you would then learn what had gone wrong.

This konqueror-as-shell thing is more than a bit confusing to me here
too, Anne, but here's a couple possibilities:

1) KDE's keyboard shortcuts are configurable.  It's quite possible that
either DF for his IT people reconfigured the show/hide menu shortcut to
something else, or simply disabled it.

2) This shell thing very possibly may take advantage of KDE's "kiosk
mode" to try to lock out certain settings in ordered to limit variance
for support purposes, etc.  I'm not familiar with kiosk mode having never
done anything with it, but this sounds very much like the sort of stuff
certain IT departments would be keen on, and while they likely didn't
intend the menu or whatever to disappear, some bug obviously triggered
that with the background change, and he might have been prevented from
getting it back by the very same settings that would have been intended
to keep a user from accidentally losing it (hitting ctrl-m accidentally
and not knowing what they did) in the first place.

Just a couple thoughts on something that's evidently rather far from a
standard kde config, so most of our experience and troubleshooting
knowledge based on that more or less standard config just went right out
the window! =:^(

Luckily the old "delete the config and revert to defaults (even if those
defaults are anything but standard as shipped by kde) trick seemed to
work, and even luckier, he figured it out without much help from here,
because as I said, this thing is far enough from standard it definitely
has /me/ flummoxed!

Regardless, this is one for the experience archives, so if something like
this comes up again, maybe we we can be of at least a bit more help than
we were this time around. =:^\  Thank goodness he /was/ able to figure
this one out pretty much without our help, because "flummoxed"
unfortunately pretty well describes it!