[kde-linux] dolphin kde 4.9 how to get rid of online rename

yahoo-pier_andreit pier_andreit at yahoo.it
Tue Aug 7 14:19:14 UTC 2012

On 07/08/12 14:00, Duncan wrote:
> yahoo-pier_andreit posted on Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:48:59 +0200 as excerpted:
>
>> I installed kde 4.9, the new dolphin has the *new* online rename, in
>> many cases it is useful and beautiful, but in my case when I have long
>> names is very better the old way, in the old way you can enlarge with
>> one click on the bar the window with the name and see all the name, with
>> the online you cant, so, how can I come back to the not online rename??
>
> While I ran all four 4.9 prereleases and now have 4.9.0 installed, I
> don't use dolphin enough to even really know the difference between its
> old way and the traditional inline rename.  Neither do I see a way to get

the difference are that now you edit the new name directly on the name
showed in dolphin window, before a dedicated window was opened to do
this, I use dolphin expecially for the filter facility, it's fantastic:-))

> back the old behavior, except perhaps to grab the diff, create a patch
> reverting just that change, and apply it to a dolphin rebuild.  Not too
> terrible on gentoo and I've done it myself with a patch here or there
> over the years, but significantly harder on the ordinary binary distro,
> whose users are less used to building from sources and who don't have
> gentoo's automated approach that makes it so easy to start from, so it's
> significantly more difficult for them.

too difficult for me:-))

> But, I do know there's several alternatives to the inline rename.
>
> 1) Select file properties, and do the rename in the resulting window,
> which can be resized.  (Note that file properties has a configurable
> hotkey, too.)

thank you, this is the only workaround that my sister can perform:-))
often pc's are used by people that haven't skills about it :-))
so it should be better to have the way to come back :-)

> 6) Use open-with to open the directory in konqueror, gwenview, or some
> other GUI-based file manager, and handle it there.

konqueror also have the same behaviour of dolphin

thnx agai, pier