[kde-linux] KDE on the go

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sat Aug 4 20:09:11 UTC 2012

I Googled   KDE mobile travel laptop   among other terms to try to find
what KDE-using road warriors do to manage their mobile computer(s). I'm
just getting back to a mobile computing life after a decade desktop-bound,
so I've done a lot of laptop/Linux/Fedora research and setup and some
testing, but none of the travelling yet.

For example, KNetworkManager seems to be really solid at handling
wired/wireless switching, so when I'm on wireless I'd like my traffic
routed through some SSH tunnels to my home LAN. Ideally a VPN, but my
initial attempts using OpenVPN get me a connection, but it drops after
about 30 seconds and I need to do some research.

But generically, what could KDE do for a mobile user that needs to juggle
secure vs non-secure connections and environments? What widgets are worth
using? Could I put 'Activities' to any use?

Or what terms should I be Googling?