[kde-linux] KGet: "My Documents"

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 27 11:23:10 UTC 2012

On 04/12/2012 01:47 PM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Wed, 11 Apr 2012 21:04:01 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>>> Presumably, kget is using the documents xdg var instead of downloads,
>>> I'd guess because the downloads var was introduced after kget was
>>> already using the documents setting, the one that would have made the
>>> most sense if there wasn't yet a specific downloads setting.
>>>
>> What is "downloads var"?
>
> XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR variable

Do downloads really belong in: "/var"?

>> KGet has had this new feature added since XDG-User-Dirs had a Download
>> directory.  The XDG Download directory is the logical default for all
>> files till the user adds other directories.  It appears that it is
>> supposed to work with the XDG-User-Dirs, but it doesn't work.
>>
>> This appears to be my usual complaint about the lack of design work.  I
>> think that I am good at this part of engineering.  This could be good,
>> but it needs a lot of work by a designer, not just a coder.
>
> Well, it's working with some of them, the ones listed in the desktoppaths
> kcontrol module.  Did you confirm whether it obeys the XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR/
> documents setting,

Yes, it does.

> which unlike the download dir/var, IS listed in the
> kcm?  If you don't like "My Documents" (and I share your dislike thereof!
> ), then try setting the documents path to something else.

My user account has:

	XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Files"

and that works fine.

> If it uses it,
> not ideal (ideal would be the downloads dir), but OK.  If it doesn't,
> then THAT would be a bug, and I'd file it (after checking for previous
> bugs a new one would dup, of course) as such.
>
> As for incorporating XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR into kde, that'd be an enhancement/
> wish.  As such, I'd file a bug for it (after a dups check) and mark it
> enhancement/wish severity.  But I'd also likely consider that a
> compatibility level change and not expect it for kde4, only
> kde5/kde-frameworks.

I would have to disagree there.  Since there is currently a default: "My
Downloads" that cannot be renamed or removed, it is a design defect.
Fixing a design defect is not a feature request.  Possibly some coding
errors as well.

Note that I previously found and edited a file, using a search, for the
location of "my Documents" in: "$HOME/.kde4/share/apps/kget/".
Currently there is a file: "transfers.kgt" where the KGet group
configurations are stored.  But removing: "My Downloads" from that file
does not fix it.  Note the improper use of a special extension for what
is an XML file.  IIRC, there was also a global file in:
"$KDEDIR/share/apps/kget" that I probably deleted.

I previously got rid of this by manually editing the configuration files
but now it came back and I can't get rid of it.  Could it be in the code
somewhere.  Does KDE have NO standards at all?

The reason that this is probably a bug is that it does not show proper
KDE behavior, that should be common to all apps, where the presence of
the local configuration file overrides the global file.  I have simply
not been able to find which file contains the: "My Documents" string.

Note that I do not file bug reports anymore.  I do not want to put up
with any further abuse from developers.  I feel that I am due an apology.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch