[kde-linux] All programs icons shown as cog wheel

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 12 04:15:01 UTC 2012

On 04/09/2012 10:20 PM, Klaus Vink Slott wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just updated a opensuse 12.1 machine from 4.7 to 4.8. After the upgrade
> all program icons on my Desktop (folder view) is shown as a cog wheel. I
> have tested from 2 user accounts and both has the same defect. If I
> enter preference for a program object, the correct icon is shown in the
> settings panel. If select another icon for the object, the cogwheel
> flashes briefly as if replaced - but by the same image.

Presuming that these are '*.desktop' files that point to an application.
  I say this because the actual executable will always have a gear icon.

> Does anyone know a way to get my usual icons back?

If the correct icon is flashing, the problem is in the Plasma Icon
Cache.  It appears to me that it has serious bugs, probably design
errors, that don't seem to get fixed.

You need to hunt down and delete the cache file.  Probably best done
while your KDE desktop isn't running, but IAC, use a system VT, not a
Konsole.

You should find it here:

	/var/tmp/<user>-kde4/kdecache-<user>/

The file name is: