[kde-linux] KDE-4.8 and HAL

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Apr 6 01:27:57 UTC 2012

James Tyrer posted on Thu, 05 Apr 2012 16:50:57 -0700 as excerpted:

> I was upgrading my system (Linux From Scratch is my distro) and I find
> that the new version does not include HAL.
>
> Does KDE-4.8 have any specific requirements for HAL, or can it use the
> FreeDesktop replacements for HAL?
>
> I am not currently using HAL because trying to start it locks up my
> system.

AFAIK, KDE4 hasn't used hal since 4.5, the last feature-release to use
it.  One of the big changes for 4.6 was the switch to u* (udev/udisks/
upower), and during the regressions of 4.6.2/4.6.3, I remember
recommending that people either stick with 4.5.5 if their distro still
had hal, or 4.6.0 if not.

It's possible there was some configure option to enable it for a couple
versions, but not that I know of, and it has been hal-free from 4.6 on,
here.

k3b did still require hal for a bit, but that's not part of the main kde
desktop; its a separate app that happens to be kde based, and even it has
been off of hal for quite some time, now.