[kde-linux] Limit for keyboard layouts?

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Thu Sep 15 08:51:38 UTC 2011

On Thursday 15 September 2011 02:14:16 Rajko M. wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 14, 2011 01:08:29 AM Stan Goodman wrote:
> > No, I'm not. That box has always been checked, even when I didn't
> > understand its purpose.
>
> Is it grayed out? In other words disabled?
>
> Check "Main layout count, it can be max 3 which gives 1 layout for
> spare layouts. If it is 4 then there is no room for spare layouts.
> Btw, that is another action that will gray out checkmark and make
> use of spare layouts impossible.

Well, there's the problem. I had made that 4, because I thought it meant
the number of layouts, and didn't know that one of the four layouts I
have now has to be reserved for swapping, and the number in the box
means how many fixed layouts there are. This is extremely non-intuitive,
which is not a rare thing in KDE. KDE developers would profit by
exposure to a course in communication, centering on "User Helpfulness",
as distinct from "User Friendliness" (two very different things). But
that will never happen. But it would have been kind to explain it in the
help facility, since most of us do not receive psychic messages from the
developers about their intentions.

> I use KDE 4.6.5.

This is KDE 4.6.0.

I am hoping that this sloppy workaround will be improved soon, and that
the light may dawn to someone at KDE that there is no real reason to
limit layouts to 4, any more than there was a reason for Windows to be
able to support only two at a time.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on