[kde-linux] Non-functional KDE 4.6 in openSUSE 11.4

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 08:06:48 UTC 2011

Duncan wrote:
> FrankK posted on Tue, 22 Nov 2011 20:58:30 -0800 as excerpted:
>
>> Apparently some of the updating I did online in between the DVD install
>> and the kde 4.6 pattern install changed some dependencies. Rather than
>> risk breaking what I have now, I'll wait for the 12.1 DVD to arrive.
> Being on a dialup modem... sucks!  I have serious respect for anyone
> still doing software updates, etc, on dialup, regardless of the OS
> they're using, and yeah, I'd likely be doing a lot of waiting for DVDs,
> etc, too, if I were in that situation.
>
> This is well OT now, but...  I haven't any idea where you're located or
> what your connectivity options are, but at least here (Phoenix, AZ, USA),
> the lowest-level broadband connection available seems to be Cox's 1.5 Mbps
> service, AFAIK $35/mo unbundled bottom-line price, after all taxes, etc.
> If the cost of the dialup ISP is added (assuming it's not free), it's no
> contest, the cable service is about the same cost but a FAR better always-
> on net connection.
>
> An always-on net connection also gives you VoIP as an alternative to
> phone service.  Since with a net connection, the VoIP provider can be
> located anywhere, competition is far better and thus so is the price vs.
> service balance.  With a ~$200 equipment investment, full bare-bones
> phone service replacement including nationwide-as-local calling and a
> phone system phone number for inbound calls, is $0, monthly, or more
> services (caller ID, call-waiting, forwarding, 3-way, voice-mail, user-
> controlled call-routing including to voicemail or to faked phone number
> invalid) are available for $10-20/mo with a far smaller upfront
> investment, tho one may need to pay a year at a time to get the lower end
> of that cost range.
>
> Depending on your voice-phone usage patterns, VoIP may offer you either
> way better service or way lower costs if not both, thus making the always-
> on internet connection look even better.
>
> But unfortunately, such always-on connections aren't available
> everywhere, and/or may costs hundreds of dollars a month.  And some
> nations, particularly those with state-based telco monopolies, ban VoIP
> to force use of the phone monopoly.  (Of course, some places offer 100Mbit
> Fast-Ethernet comparable speeds for $20/mo, too, but obviously neither
> you nor I have that sort of option. =:^( )
>
> What I'm saying is... look into it if you DO have DSL or cable Internet
> available in your area.  A lot of people simply don't realize that for
> what they're paying for the phone line and ISP, they could have an always-
> on connection at far faster speeds, and/or be paying less for better VoIP
> based phone service, as well.  Unfortunately that's not everywhere, tho,
> and if you're simply out of luck where you are... then as I said, wow, I
> have a *LOT* of respect for those still having to use dialup.

I was in the same situation until a year or so ago.  I was on one really
slow dial-up that cost me more than DSL not even counting the phone
itself.  Dial-up was about $20.00 a month plus about $45.00 for the
phone line.  DSL is about $15.00 and no phone needed.  Went to cell
phones now actually.

I hope you get a faster connection soon.  I too remember a Open Office
update taking two to three days to download or about the same for KDE.
That was in the KDE 3.5 days too.  KDE 4 is larger still.

If you live in the USA, let us know.  One of us may can download a CD or
something and mail it to you.  I live in Mississippi myself.

Dale

:-)  :-)