[kde-linux] Non-functional KDE 4.6 in openSUSE 11.4

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 22 08:03:06 UTC 2011

On 2011/11/22 07:02 (GMT) Duncan composed:

> FrankK posted on Mon, 21 Nov 2011 20:40:01 -0800 as excerpted:

>>  So to answer your xorg questions:

>>  1. CRT - Compaq FS740
>>  3. A to make room for more windows.
>>  4. Firefox size is OK for me to view as is.

>>  If I were to choose a screen resolution, 1024x768 would be my first
>>  choice. This is 60~ power territory, so I prefer a CRT vertical rate of
>>  70 hertz or higher.

> FWIW, google says (from monitorworld.com)

> Compaq FS740
> 17-inch CRT
> max resolution 1280x1024
> 31.5-70 kHz HFreq
> 50-120 Hz VFreq/refresh

> FWIW, for those figures (but with the stated 70 Hz min refresh pref)
> http://old.koalateam.com/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines
> lists modelines from 384x288 up to 1280x960 (a 4:3 aspect ratio is
> assumed).

> So given that you don't seem to have much problem with your eyes, you
> might want to try the 70 Hz 1280x960 modeline from there, and see how
> your monitor does with that.  That'd give you square pixels at 70 Hz
> refresh, something that 1280x1024 doesn't, while giving you a bit higher
> resolution than 1024x768.

You really think this particular thread needed to be polluted with modeline
discussion? OpenSUSE's Xorg by default will autogenerate modelines in most
cases (same as most Xorg variants in other distros if allowed to), and
certainly for a basic/ancient CRT such as his, and particularly if he needs
an xorg.conf file to get his i845G to work satisfactorily. If it is producing
competent EDID, Xorg will automatically use the highest refresh for its
preferred mode, much as it would with an LCD. More than likely left to its
own design it would do 1280x1024 at at least 85 refresh based on Xorg's own
built in modeline generator.

Of course, as with most CRTs & standard drivers @ 1280x1024, all results will
be vertically squished, since 1280x1024 is a 5:4 mode and the CRT is a 4:3
screen. http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/aspect.html
http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/std-resolutions.html

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/