[kde-linux] Non-functional KDE 4.6 in openSUSE 11.4

FrankK frankk at oregoncoast.com
Tue Nov 22 04:40:01 UTC 2011

Felix Miata wrote:

> [...]
in openSUSE 11.4

 >On 2011/11/21 11:01 (GMT-0800) FrankK composed:

> You are correct that I can proceed with my 11.4 DVD
> to install kde 4.6 as a second desktop.

> I have already ordered a 12.1 DVD, but I would like
> to know how to make a kde 4.6 desktop work with 11.4.

> The 11.4 DVD I have as radio buttons for desktops,
> such that I can choose gnome, kde, or other. I chose
> the other to get lxde.

> So to get past this point, I would expect to run the
> 11.4 DVD as an upgrade and select kde.

You seem to be describing the wrong way to go about
adding KDE to a running
11.4/LXDE system. Once a system is installed, you
don't "run" a DVD to add
programs. What you do is log into LXDE, then open
YaST2, then software
management, add the KDE pattern, and let YaST2 do the
KDE installation while
you go about other business or watch TV or play
games. After YaST2 is done,
you log out, and when logging in next you tell the
login manager which
session type you wish.

However, that isn't very likely (maybe, just not
likely) to solve your
previously reported failure of KDE to actually work...

> Back in the old Red Hat days the desktop buttons were
> not radio buttons. If more than one desktop was
> selected, switch SW was installed that would present
> the desktop selection at bootup. Something similar
> must happen with 11.4.

That's the login manager's job. By the time the login
manager appears, "boot"
is done.

> Any tips on this kde addition would be appreciated.

If you don't have a connect time limit, you might
consider adding the KDE7
repo as mentioned (IIRC) upthread, then have YaST2
start installing/upgrading
to it right before bed and hopefully have
installation done when you awake in
the AM. Or take your PC somewhere with a broadband
connection and do it quickly.

> I haven't looked at the links you gave me yet, but I
> did take a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Mine has no
> 70- files. It jumps from 11 to 50 to 90.

If you had spent the time following those
instructions instead of posting
back here as if they had never been provided you'd
probably already be
happily running KDE by now. Don't analyze them, just
follow them, and don't
skip around willy nilly. Just try that 70 file I
provided in a KDE-installed
system and see whether or not it makes the problem go
away. If it doesn't,
just delete it and go on to the next suggestion.

> This may be bacause there's no kde installed.

The content of /etc/X11/ is all for Xorg
setup/configuration, and has nothing
directly to do with KDE configuration. Whatever's
there impacts the whole GUI
regardless which DTE you log into, although as you've
found there may be
things Xorg might supposed to be able to do that a
particular DTE may choose
not to use.

> The best box to attempt the 11.4&  kde 4.6 install is
> this HP.

> root[503] lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
> 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics
> Device (rev 03)
> root[504] hwinfo --gfxcard
> 11: PCI 02.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
>    [Created at pci.318]
>    Unique ID: _Znp.5PsICiUoWvD
>    SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0
>    SysFS BusID: 0000:00:02.0
>    Hardware Class: graphics card
>    Model: "Intel i845"
>    Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
>    Device: pci 0x2562 "i845"

That info matches two of my systems. i845G systems
have been problematic for
several years, but usually with enough effort will
work OK. Had you provided
more information I could have already provided you
with an xorg.conf file
likely to make that system's KDE work OK for you
whether using 11.4 or 12.1.
I can't do that right without knowing also about your
eyes and your display:

1-CRT? If so, what is your preferred resolution?
2-Flat panel? If so, what is its aspect ratio, size
and native resolution. If
you don't know, look them up.
3-If you were to buy a new and bigger display today, why?
A-make room for more windows?
B-make everything bigger?
C-a mixture of A & B?
D-none of the above?
4-Is most web page text too small when you first open
pages in a browser?

Thanks again Felix!

One problem I've had with the Yast SW management is
that after it's connected online (even with dial-up)
to the repositories, it's reluctant to go back to the
DVD. If I do a pattern install before SW management
connects to the repositories it will take the DVD
fine. I'll try the kde pattern, but I won't let it
get kde from a repository.

If I get an xorg.conf file from you, will I still
need to add the 70- xorg.conf.d file? On the two
boxes that I had xorg.conf files for, I didn't add
any 70- file.

So to answer your xorg questions:

1. CRT - Compaq FS740
3. A to make room for more windows.
4. Firefox size is OK for me to view as is.

If I were to choose a screen resolution, 1024x768
would be my first choice. This is 60~ power
territory, so I prefer a CRT vertical rate of 70
hertz or higher.

I'll give the pattern install tonight to see if make
it work from the DVD. Frank K