[kde-linux] kwin needs 300M?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Nov 22 04:25:34 UTC 2011

On Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:25:46 AM Alex Schuster
<wonko at wonkology.org> wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk writes:
> > After upgrading to 4.6.5 on Fedora 15 I see that the kwin process is
> > my largest memory-hog  - 323M so far. I saw this right after
> > upgrading and figured it was the Desktop Effects. I disabled them,
> > and still see kwin at the top of my Ctrl-Esc System Activity list,
> > above VMWare and Firefox. For a window manager?
>
> I'm away from my desktop, so I cannot check now. According to mys logs,
> kwin uses about 40M. But it has a memory leak, after some days the
> typical usage is 600M, and it goes even higher - the record is 1.4G. I
> also notice strange effects when the memory usage gehts high, like
> disappearing or distorted window title bars. It's time to log out and in
> again then.
>
> This still happens with 4.7.3 on Gentoo Linux.

I came across this:

    kwin --replace &

It tells kwin to replace itself with itself. Works for me, the screen
refreshes and panels reload and a couple apps were un-minimized but memory
dropped instantly and it's a lot easier than logging out and in.