[kde-linux] Kubuntu panel clock disappeared

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Nov 13 10:52:37 UTC 2011

Larry Alkoff posted on Sat, 12 Nov 2011 15:54:29 -0600 as excerpted:

> My wife and I am running Kubuntu 10.04 and she has done something and
> her normal KDE clock is gone missing.
>
> How can we get it back?

First, tho it shouldn't matter for this question, for future reference,
please include the kde version number as well, since those of us not
running kubuntu generally have little idea what particular version of kde
shipped with each kubuntu release.  10.04 was some time back, so
presumably you're running an earlier kde4 version, perhaps 4.5.x or
4.4.x, unless you upgraded it somewhere along the line.

In kde4, each little component or widget that can be placed on the
desktop or in a panel is called a plasmoid.  This is because the desktop
is called plasma, and these are little pieces of it.  As in science,
little bits of plasma are called plasmoids, =:^) Among the types of
plasmoid are several types of clocks, one of which you no doubt had
showing, but it got removed.  However, they're easy enough to add back
when you know how.

The desktop is normally locked so plasmoids can't be accidentally messed
up, so the first thing you need to do is unlock the desktop.  This can be
done a couple different ways.  The easiest is often to context (normally,
right) click on a clear spot on the desktop and choose "unlock widgets".
Alternatively, find the little "cashew", aka "toolbox, normally located
at a corner of the desktop, click it, and again choose unlock widgets.

Now, you need to find and add the proper clock plasmoid (aka widget) back
into the proper place.  Around kde 4.5 they changed the way the add-
widget dialog worked, and I don't know whether you're still using the old
way or are using the newer way.  However, the same thing is done to get
the dialog.  With widgets unlocked, again click the toolbox or right-
click the desktop and choose add widgets.

The old way had a dialog with a bunch of plasmoids to choose from, the
new way has a strip that appears, again with a bunch of plasmoids.  If
you like, you can choose a category to narrow things down.  In this case,
the category is date and time.

I'm guessing you want digital clock.  Analog clock can be nice too, and
there's some other choices there to try if you want.

You can add a selection in two different ways.  I like to drag the
plasmoid I want to where I want it and drop it.  The other way is to
simply double-click on your selection, and it'll appear on either the
panel or the desktop, depending on where you originally selected add
widgets from.  However, the automatic placement can be a bit
inconvenient, so I prefer to drag the one I want where I want it, and
drop.

Once in place, if the plasmoid is on the desktop, hovering over it will
produce a floating toolbar that you can use for moving, sizing,
configuring, and removing, as desired.  On a panel the plasmoids work a
bit differently.  You can right-click them and select configure or
remove, or to move them, click the panel cashew/toolbox or right-click on
the panel and select panel settings, and when the toolbar for resizing
the panel appears, hovering over a plasmoid in the panel will change the
pointer to a 4-way arrow, indicating that you can now drag it where you
want it.  Either way, you may wish to configure your new clock, changing
its display, etc.

Once you get the plasmoids all rearranged as you want, don't forget to
lock widgets again, so you (or she) doesn't accidentally remove it or
drag it elsewhere once again.

For further information on plasma see the following URL.  In particular,
down towards the bottom under further information, there's a link to
"Plasma HowTo's -- short screencasts" that could be quite helpful if you
need more than words.  They're even version specific, so you can choose
the one appropriate to your specific kde version. =:^)

http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma