[kde-linux] kwin needs 300M?

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Thu Nov 10 18:25:46 UTC 2011

Jerome Yuzyk writes:

> After upgrading to 4.6.5 on Fedora 15 I see that the kwin process is my
> largest memory-hog  - 323M so far. I saw this right after upgrading and
> figured it was the Desktop Effects. I disabled them, and still see kwin at
> the top of my Ctrl-Esc System Activity list, above VMWare and Firefox. For
> a window manager?

I'm away from my desktop, so I cannot check now. According to mys logs,
kwin uses about 40M. But it has a memory leak, after some days the
typical usage is 600M, and it goes even higher - the record is 1.4G. I
also notice strange effects when the memory usage gehts high, like
disappearing or distorted window title bars. It's time to log out and in
again then.

This still happens with 4.7.3 on Gentoo Linux.

	Wonko