[kde-linux] Re: Need Help Recovering Desktop Background

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Mar 25 23:15:18 UTC 2011

Mark Knecht posted on Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:42:10 -0700 as excerpted:

> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Frank K <frankk at oregoncoast.com> wrote:
>> Hello List! I have a new install openSuse 11.4 and kde *4.6.00 (4.6.0)
>> "release 6".*
>>
>> I used a JPG file as my desktop background, then moved that file. Now
>> my desktop background is black and I can't find the setting to update
>> the background file path.
>>

> For me it's
>
> 1) Right click the desktop. (Not the desktop folder if you have one)
> 2) Select Desktop Activity Settings
> 3) If Wallpaper isn't selected then select it
> 4) Select the wallpaper if you see it. If not use 'Open' and
> browse for it.

Excellent, as long as secondary-click is still set to activate the context
menu.  Of course, that's configurable and it's possible secondary-clicking
no longer activates the appropriate menu.

In that case, it may be necessary to click on the "toolbox", aka "cashew",
normally found in the corner of the desktop, tho it can be moved.  There,
select desktop settings (or whatever your activity is called settings),
and in the resulting dialog, continue with step 3, above.

Granted, it may be unlikely that the context menu has been disabled or
reassigned, but it's possible.  The cashew method should always work.  Of
course, depending on the panel and activity setup, it's possible the
cashew may be under something, but unless someone has deliberately
downloaded and activated the "hide-the-cashew" plasmoid from kdelook, it's
unlikely the cashew is gone entirely, and I'd say the chances of that are
lower than the chances of a reconfigured activity secondary-click
context-menu option, since the latter is built-in functionality while the
former requires downloading that specific plasmoid (unless of course
OpenSuSE includes it by default, but I'd hope not).  And if it was a
deliberate download, one would hope they'd remember it and know how to
undo the deliberate hide.