[kde-linux] Re: Laptop lid actions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Mar 21 19:57:04 UTC 2011

Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:01:33 -0700 as excerpted:

> Thanks. That got it. I changed the performance settings (i.e. - not on
> battery, AC working) to do nothing when the lid is closed and it's
> perfect now.

Hi, fellow Gentooer. =:^)

FWIW, here, I have the lid events set to turn the screen off and on...
only.  No use having the laptop display on wasting power and emitting heat
that's harder to dissipate with the lid closed, when I can see it anyway.
But I use the acpi system config to do it, not kde.  Whether kde has that
option or not I wouldn't know, as to the extent possible, I don't have the
kde power management stuff even installed/merged.

But if you regularly attach an external monitor, you might want to ensure
that any display power toggle only affects the built-in one.  At least for
use within X/KDE, that should be easy enough to do using xrandr scripting,
if necessary.  CLI-console-only mode might be a bit more difficult to
script...