[kde-linux] Re: Request for multiple monitor xorg.conf files? - "jed.monitors.conf" (001/001)

Pascal Bernhard pascal.hasko.bernhard at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 28 05:32:58 UTC 2011

Hey Duncan,
does yenc have any advntages over traditional, 'old-school' stuff like UTF8?

Regards,
Pascal
---------------------------------
Via Mobile on crappy Nokia phone with even worse Symbian S60

Pascal Bernhard
Schwalbacher Straße 7
12161 Berlin

Telefon: +49 (30) 60 92 37 72

Mobil: +49 (176) 57 13 27 90

-Urspr. Mitteilung-
Betreff: [kde-linux] Re: Request for multiple monitor xorg.conf files? - "jed.monitors.conf" (001/001)
Von: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>
Datum: 28.06.2011 06:36

Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:09:23 -0700 as excerpted:

> Hi Duncan,
>    I received 5 files that look liike you were trying to send me the
> xorg.conf files but all  got was the strange text below.
>
>    Sorry, but thanks a lot for trying.
>
> Mark
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
>> =ybegin line=128 size=188 name=jed.monitors.conf
>> }ПНЮУЩШJLwЩШУЮЩЬL43sОПШ

>> =yend size=188 crc32=27b260df

OK, the files seem to have gotten thru.  But they're yyencoded (yEnc),
which is somewhat new (still about a decade old, tho, but that's new in
terms of internet message encoding standards) and not something many mail
clients probably understand, yet.  Looks like they came thru without the
references headers that would have threaded them appropriately, too, so
they each appear as a thread starter, tho with the same topic as the
original, if the client is using the references header to thread as it
should, and not the subject header, as for instance MSOE does (or at
least did last I used it a decade ago, anyway).  I had wondered about
that.

And I don't yet see the text post that should have accompanied them,
describing them.

But the files did get posted as yenc so my experiment was successful, and
I had already had my doubts about your ability to decode it if indeed it
attached as yenc. I'll wait a bit more to see if the text post that
should have accompanied them makes it, then repost the files as either
uuencoded or identity/text (more or less copy/pasted as part of the
message encoded, along with the description, if it doesn't make it by
then.

BTW, what client do you use?  I see you have a gmail address, but do you
use its webmail, or download to a local mail client?  I might as well
start figuring out which clients can take yenc/yyencode now, and which
can't.  I know you can't but don't know for sure what you're using.

BTW2, if you needed to, you could run those files thru a decoder
manually.  uudeview (app-text/uudeview on gentoo) should work, as should
yydecode (net-news/yydecode) and yencode (net-news/yencode).  You could
feed it the raw mail files on the command line and it should decode the
yyencoded files.  (There's a GUI front-ends for at least uudeview as
well, controlled by USE=tk on gentoo.)  But that shouldn't be necessary
as I can and will simply resend as the more common uuencoded format, or
since it's text files anyway, simply paste them (haven't decided which),
now that I finished playing with my new toy. =:^)