[kde-linux] Re: KDE 4.6.3 update messed up my TwinView setup?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 15:23:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:36:35 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> Just reporting back that -xinerama in my make.conf file solved the
>> problem. TwinView works once again.
>>
>> Thanks for the idea!
>
> Thanks for the fix confirmation, and as always, glad I could be of help!
> =:^)

In the end it seems that xinerama is possibly of value to some people,
but certainly not to me, at least when using a single NVidia card that
has multiple outputs. NVidia's TwinView does (as best I can tell) the
same general thing as xinerama, at least as xinerama is described on
its Wikipedia page. However TwinView does it in hardware, is faster
and probably uses less power.

At first I thought maybe I was losing something turning xinerama off,
however I think I'm probably better off without it, at least for now.

I do wonder if this should be described somewhere in the Gentoo KDE
documentation...

Cheers,
Mark