[kde-linux] Re: Loosing keyboard in KDE

Klaus Vink Slott list-s at vink-slott.dk
Thu Jun 9 08:44:28 UTC 2011

Hi Duncan

Thanks for your thorough guide to pinpoint my problem.

On 8. june 2011 14:56:01 Duncan wrote:
> > If I move .kde4 out of the way I am able to login with a working
> > keyboard.

> If you've ever played the kids game "20 questions" or used the git bisect
> tool
Yes I have done this kind of debugging in the past but looking at the amount
of application catalogs under share/apps/ was a bit scary. So I was kind of
hoping that somebody had seen this error before.

This a machine at work so I had to find a quick way to get productive again.
So I selected a similar approach. Having moved $KDE_HOME out of the way and
with a fresh desktop in place  I made a list of the programs who had valuable
configuration in. Most important kmail, kopete, kwallet and a few more. Then
before starting any of these I used rsync to copy settings and data for these
programs to my new  $KDE_HOME. Fortunately none of them carried the problem
(I would have been surprised if the had). I still have the old $KDE_HOME
saved, so if I discover more lost setting I still have the possibility close
the program and fetch the old setting.

> Meanwhile, attacking the problem from a different angle, ..... IF your
> previous kde version was 4.5 or earlier, than it was hal-based, while 4.6
> (and later) are now udev(and family, /udisks/upower/...) based.  It's
> quite conceivable that has something to do with it if indeed you're on kde
> 4.6 now while 4.5 or earlier before the upgrade.

You are right: My new installed version is indeed 4.6.00. I am not sure if it
made any difference. but I decided to clean out the swamp of linked and cached
files in /tmp and /var/tmp
In runlevel 1 so nothing else was running it still took about 20 minutes to
clean out these (rm -rf)  I really should put some cronjob to keep these from
growing wild ;-)

--
Regards
Klaus