[kde-linux] Re: Password protect one folder?

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:40:49 UTC 2011

On Thursday 20 January 2011, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Dale <rdalek1967 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Werner Joss wrote:

> >> right, konqueror/dolphin use the kgpg-kpart for this.
> >> nice feature, but not ecactly what the OP was asking for,
> >> as you always have to encrypt/decrypt yourself (hence,
> >> no automatic encryption when leaving the computer).
> >>
> >> werner
> >>

> > Ah, I missed that part.  It wouldn't do it automatically so that
> > wouldn't satisfy all the OP needs.
> >
> > Dale
> >

> Actually I think this should do what I want as long as I don't leave
> the folder open after encrypting it, right? Unfortunately I cannot get
> it to work at all.
>
> 1) First time I tried it wanted to make a new key, so I let it do
> that. The key now shows up in te Key Management tool.
>
> 2) I made a copy of a directory to play with.
>
> 3) I right click on that and choose Actions->Archive&Encrypt Folder. I
> get a message about temporary file creation telling me it's going to
> do the work and then will delete the file. I say continue, it pops up
> a windows asking me to select a public key. The only key there is my
> key so I select it and say OK.
>
> I now have an error message window:
>
> Sorry - KGpg
>
> [GNUPG:] INV_RECP 0 6F81BCF.............. (a very long hex number
>
> and the process fails.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

PKI file encryption (the one that uses public/private key pairs) is used when you want to encrypt a file to  give it to other people. When you want to protect a file for your own eyes only, use symmetrical encryption, which (K)GPG also supports (advanced options). Anyway, this is more useful for single file encryption, instead of directory encryption as you originally asked for.

Regards,
Pedro