[kde-linux] Re: mounting fixed and removable devices

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Sun Jan 16 20:41:40 UTC 2011

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 00:23:20 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

> Hal (and thus KDE... thru 4.5 anyway, hal's deprecated and I believe 4.6
> switches to udev and friends for this) normally won't touch (ignores)
> anything listed in /etc/fstab , since it's presumed that the admin wants
> those managed manually.

Well, Hal is deprecated but still needed. We need k3b, and as you say, it asks for Hal

> It's thus likely that it's the fstab listing triggering the "ignore"
> rather than the fact that it's a fixed device, and removing/commenting
> that line in fstab should allow hal (and thus kde) to access it.

Nope. The devices we are talking about where not in fstab !

Of course, we can live with it, including some lines in fstab. But it is a little frustating, that we started building ( my wife and me ) the same system on two different machines, the one working correct, the other not, and we cannot discover the reason

Anyway, Duncan, thank you very much. We are facing other problems at the moment, may be we need to ask for help in short ( authorization issues )

Edgar

--
Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers <edgaralwers at gmx.de>
GPG Key ID:AD5C6F70