[kde-linux] Re: bizarre error message in KDE-4.6

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 22 01:32:55 UTC 2011

On 02/21/2011 12:22 AM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:03:39 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> When ever I open KDE apps in a Konsole, I get this error message:
>>
>> realPath called with a relative path 'etc/kde-4.4/xdg/pixmaps/', please
>> fix realPath called with a relative path 'etc/kde-4.4/xdg/icons/',
>> please fix
>>
>> OK, so I would like to fix it, but where is the problem?
>>
>> Google was no help.
> This is only a semi-educated guess...
>
> I'd guess that those paths originate from an incorrectly set path var (not
> necessarily THE $PATH var...) at kde (or possibly qt) build-time.  Play
> around with the kde4-config command and see if any of the paths it lists
> match the ones above.  (Using --help here, looks like --types, followed by
> --path<type>  should be useful, for types of icon, pixmap, xdgdata-icon
> and xdgdata-pixmap.)
>
> Meanwhile...  at least here, most kde apps spew a whole lot of complaints
> when run with STDERR/STDOUT set to something I see (like when running from
> a konsole window), but they seem to work fine.  I've concluded that in
> general they're very verbose about such things primarily for developer use
> and occasional troubleshooting, precisely /because/ they're GUI apps that
> most "lusers" won't ever run from a konsole or with STDOUT/STDERR logged,
> so they /can/ and they take full advantage of it.  IOW, I don't worry too
> much about it /unless/ I have something to troubleshoot, since it's pretty
> routine for them to spit out several pages of complaints about all sorts
> of stuff when run from the konsole, yet still work just fine.
>
> Of course, the problem then occurs when there /is/ a problem, since
> there's so much "harmless noise" output, it's difficult to figure out what
> might be worth investigating to try and fix the problem, and what's simply
> (normally) harmless noise, but now obscuring whatever errors I'm actually
> hoping to find in that output.

This error wasn't causing any problems that I could determine so you
could say that it was a harmless error but it appeared that it was one
that my configuration was causing.  Perhaps I should start keeping notes
as stuff keeps getting more complex.

So, after even more searching, I accidentally found that problem.  The
reason that I didn't find it was that I was looking for the whole thing,
but what was being set was only: "etc/kde-4.4/xdg"

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch