[kde-linux] Re: KDE-4.6 build order

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 17 08:16:45 UTC 2011

On 02/14/2011 02:25 AM, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Sun, February 13, 2011 6:14 am, James Tyrer wrote:

>>> I use Gentoo.  I could post the list here for the order Gentoo compiles
>>> them.  Would that help any?
>>>
>> The problem is that when stuff was moved from SVN to GIT that it was
>> broken into smaller pieces:
>>
>> kdebase/kde-baseapps
>> kdebase/kde-runtime
>> kdebase/kde-workspace
>> kdebase/konsole
>> kdebindings/C#/kimono
>> kdebindings/C#/qyoto
>> kdebindings/kross-interpreters
>> kdebindings/PERL/perlkde
>> kdebindings/PERL/perlqt
>> kdebindings/RUBY/korundum
>> kdebindings/RUBY/qtruby
>> kdebindings/smoke/smokegen
>> kdebindings/smoke/smokekde
>> kdebindings/smoke/smokeqt
>> kdepim
>> kdepimlibs
>> kdepim-runtime
>> kdeplasma-addons
>>
>> And this may be even more complicated after other modules are moved.
> There is a build script in http://gitweb.kde.org/kdesrc-build.git, which
> has been updated since kdelibs and kdebase were moved to git. You could
> either use this script for building, or if you don't want to use the
> script itself, check in it what the build order is.
Perhaps this would, since you identified yourself as a KDE Developer, a
good place to address the unbelievable hubris of KDE Developers in general.

I suppose that the person that wrote that unbelievably complicated
script actually believes that he was doing someone somewhere a service.
But, this is clearly not the case.  How could anyone be so arrogant to
think that rather than providing some simple information on how to build
KDE that a very complicated script be provided.  It would take several
hours to begin to understand how to configure the script to properly
install the KDE-4.6 branch.  A person would have to figure out a lot of
new and different things that pertain ONLY to the configuration file for
the script.  Since most people that intend to install KDE from source
should already know how to build stuff from source, this seems like a
colossal waste of time and I see no possible enjoyment in it.

Further the instructions for using the script are based on the same idea
of installing KDE in a separate user account which is totally invalid
except for (possibly) installing TRUNK -- I do not think that this could
possibly be fully functional for the current TRUNK since it could not
properly interact with D-Bus and HAL.

So, it is not a question of whether I don't want to use the script.  The
fact is that I do NOT want to have to waste the time needed to use it to
install the KDE-4.6 branch where I want it installed.

But, getting to the question: It appears that the script (kdesrc-build)
does not contain all of the needed information regarding the proper
build order.  There is a list (my @defaultModuleList) starting at line
3316 which probably is listed in the proper build order.  This does
clarify the correct order for:

     kde-runtime
     kde-workspace
     kde-baseapps
     konsole

and perhaps others.  But for modules that are not listed here, and
therefore for all modules not using default, the order would appear to
be determined by the: ".kdesrc-buildrc" so this begs the question with
no instructions for the proper order in the configuration file.

Specifically, I needed to know the correct order for:

	kdepimlibs
	kdepim-runtime

AND

	kdebindings/C#/kimono
	kdebindings/C#/qyoto
	kdebindings/kross-interpreters
	kdebindings/PERL/perlkde
	kdebindings/PERL/perlqt
	kdebindings/RUBY/korundum
	kdebindings/RUBY/qtruby
	kdebindings/smoke/smokegen
	kdebindings/smoke/smokekde
	kdebindings/smoke/smokeqt

I do not want to sound like this is retaliation because it is a simple statement of fact.  If the KDE Developers do not want to give up the information needed to finish writing:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x_Upgrade

it will not be done because I am not going to do this by trial and error anymore when others have the information and seem to feel the need to keep it secret.  Without the needed information, it is simply not possible to write a tutorial.

Please make some allowance for the fact that I have the flu and am not
in a good mood.

Perhaps you would be interested in helping me with this project.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch