[kde-linux] Re: Digital clock day & date

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Feb 10 09:14:12 UTC 2011

Kevin Krammer posted on Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:38:08 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Thursday, 2011-02-10, James Tyrer wrote:
>> On 02/09/2011 08:14 AM, James Tyrer wrote:
>> > Well we are up to version 4.6 and I again ask:
>> >
>> > Is it really that hard to do this? [attached]
>>
>> Or this? [attached]
>
> You mean the full name of the week day?

I took it to mean the digital look of the font (that the digital clock
should look... digital, like the old kde3 one did, IIRC), tho with just
the image and nothing pointing out what bit he wants the current one to
look like it, that's simply a wild guess based on the assumption that the
digital clock follows the kcontrol/locale date prefs, which given that
he's a regular here, I figured he'd know where to find.

But actually adding it so I can see and taking a look... it appears that
it /might/ follow the time prefs, but it does NOT follow either the short
or long date prefs!

I'd definitely call that a bug!  Perhaps it should /optionally/ have its
own, but by default, it should be following the kcontrol locale time and
date prefs, probably with an option whether it should follow the short or
long version.

I'd also call it a bug that the "digital" clock doesn't ship with a custom
"digital" font, if necessary, to give it, by default (or at least as an
option), an authentic LED/LCD "digital clock" look.  If one could find
such a font (monospace, at least for the digits, of course, so they don't
shift around based on the displayed time, that looks /terrible/!), it
wouldn't be so bad, but I don't seem to have any on my system, and while
there's all sorts of font packages I could install, how am I to know which
ones, if any, have a "proper digital look" font?

However, the fact that it doesn't seem to honor the plain-as-day kcontrol
locale date/time prefs... that's the bigger bug, for sure.  The other
would be nice for polish, but it's not nearly as critical.

FWIW, here, I don't have the digital clock plasmoid running (I do the
analog, themed with the professional plasma theme from kdelook, as I like
the surrealistic/artistic look it gives the desktop, sort of like a Dali
painting), because I setup a yasp-scripted (kdelook, again) script/theme
that lists a whole set of times, including Unix monotonic time. =:^)  See
the wide screenshot (and the duncan subdir in the tarball for the
scripts), here:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=109367