[kde-linux] Revive Quanta+?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Dec 27 01:34:31 UTC 2011

john Culleton posted on Mon, 26 Dec 2011 09:54:02 -0500 as excerpted:

> One of the virtues of the Open Software approach is freedom of choice.
> When the KDE folks messed up KMail I switched to Claws Mail. When the
> KDE interface became clumsy and slow I switched to XFCE. I replaced the
> weak apps in KOffice with better ones from Libre. But for the task of
> web page production two projects have fallen apart, Quanta+ and now
> Amaya. Bluefish is the last app standing. It is decent and well
> maintained but lacks some of the features of Quanta+.

Interesting that you mention claws-mail.  That's where I ended up too.
=:^)  Back in late 2001, early 2002, when I switched from MS due to its
jumping the shark with eXPrivacy, I tried (then) sylpheed-claws, but
decided on kmail.  Of course that's ironic too, as if I'd have picked
claws back then, I'd not have had the hassle of switching nine years
later, earlier this year.  Oh, well...

I don't use an office suite, just email, web, and plain-text files, but
did drop konqueror for firefox when it became apparent most kde devs
including the konqueror devs themselves consider it only a trivial toy.
(How else can the absence of a security-cert management gui for two years
after kde was declared ready for ordinary users, in an era of entire CAs
and all their certs going down, be explained?  Oh, and can't forget the
double-form-submission-bug introduced in the middle of a bug-fix-only
stable series and left to fester for two full months; where was 4.6.2.1?
Thus, self-evidently, when "ordinary users" do /banking/ with their
"real" browser, konqueror can only be considered a toy!  Well, now it's
only a trivial toy for me, too!)

And claws-mail (separate second instance) running with the feed-plugin
for feeds, replacing akregator and thus with kmail gone too, freeing me
from kdepim, thus from akonadi, thus from semantic-desktop entirely.
Fortunately I already ran pan instead of knode, so I didn't have to look
for a news (nntp) client replacement.  But that's ironic, too, since a
couple years ago pan was the only critical gtk app I ran and I was
thinking about replacing it, thus allowing me to drop gtk.  But now, I'm
running two claws-mail instances, pan, AND firefox, on gtk, and if
anything, it's the core kde that I'd be looking to replace and drop, tho
I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, now that I jettisoned all the
critical kde-based apps for one reason or another. =:^)

And not quite as critical, but important none-the-less, early in the kde4
switch cycle, I dropped amarok for mpd (and various qt4, ncurses and cli
frontends, which TOGETHER still weigh FAR less than amarok... and I can
manage it from the CLI without X running now, too), and kaffeine for
smplayer.

But with all the critical apps elsewhere now and with the semantic-
desktop millstone off my neck, kde actually runs MUCH faster now, and for
the first time, I'm actually enjoying kde4 more than I did kde3! =:^)
Plus, now free of the worry of breaking critical mail or browser, I'm
free to test the kde beta and rc releases, and am thoroughly enjoying
that as well! =:^)

So being "encouraged" to jettison all those kde apps wasn't all bad!  Now
that I'm free of them, I'm having the best time on kde that I've had in a
VERY long time, I guess since I first switched from MS to Linux/kde2 in
early 2002, and everything was fresh and new to me! =:^)