[kde-linux] Startup programs in KDE

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 08:23:07 UTC 2011

Thomas Taylor wrote:
> Hi folks;
> I have two programs set up to run at startup (Configure Desktop>  Startup&
> Shutdown>  Autostart>  Add Program).  They are claws-mail and firefox.  They
> both come up in the last active session virtual desktop (I'm using 6).
>
> Is there a way to specify which virtual desktop they start in?  Haven't found
> any documentation about that.
>
> Thanks, Tom

The way I do this is to save the session to save what starts up.  I
guess your way will work too.

As for what desktops they will be on, I use Window Settings.  Right
click on the title bar of what you want to set up, Firefox for example,
and highlight Advanced then Special Window Settings.  In the winodw that
pops up, select the Size and Position tab.  The Desktop can then be set
there.  You may want to look at other settings in there too.  There are
a lot of things that can be set there.  Also, some can be set to force
which means it will not change even if you try and several other
settings.  It took me several tries to get mine set right but once you
get it set correctly, it seems to hold that throughout updates.

If something acts weird, go to the first tab, Window Matching, and click
the Detect Window Properties button, then click the title bar of the
window you want to set.  You may have to experiment with the other
settings too.  Sometimes when you have a program that has more than one
window or the title bar changes, then you have to test other settings to
get it to stick.

Hope that helps.  This is for KDE 4.7.4 and I use Gentoo.  It should be
about the same but different from KDE3 for sure.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"