[kde-linux] kwin needs 300M?

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Thu Dec 1 13:46:31 UTC 2011

I wrote:

> Dale writes:
>
> > Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:25:46 AM Alex Schuster
> >> <wonko at wonkology.org>  wrote:
>
> [kwin needs up to 1.4G]

> >> I came across this:
> >>
> >>      kwin --replace&
> >>
> >> It tells kwin to replace itself with itself. Works for me, the screen
> >> refreshes and panels reload and a couple apps were un-minimized but
> >> memory dropped instantly and it's a lot easier than logging out and
> >> in.
>
> Wow, that's great! I just hate to log out and restart all my stuff that
> was running. Thanks!
>
> > When I did this, it went all wonky.  I went from 8 desktops to one
> > and all my apps went to the one desktop.  Other than all that, it
> > worked fine.  LOL
> >
> > Now to logout and back in again to fix all this.  :/
>
> Wow, that's bad! I just hate to fix things like this. That's why I back
> up my .kde directory so often.
>
> I will try this in a couple of days when I am back at my desktop.

And so I did. Works, mostly. All windows remained on their desktops. Some
were shifted down by about the size of their title bar, and special
settings like running without window borders were lost (I had set this
manually, window rules do not work with xosview somehow). One window group
was no longer grouped, others stayed as they were. All in all, it worked
fine.

kwin needs 30 M now, instead of 900 M. That's cool, thanks Jerome!

	Wonko