[kde-linux] Re: Kpatience not closing correctly when logging out.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Apr 25 05:53:51 UTC 2011

Dale posted on Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:20:04 -0500 as excerpted:

> Maybe I am a little OCD or something.  Oh well, I always been a little
> weird.  lol

Maybe.  But I think most folks would consider most Gentoo users a bit OCD.
Otherwise, what would be the point of the extra work necessary for all
that building from source?

I know that's one thing I appreciate about both kde and gentoo.  I'm a
control freak (AKA I have OCD) when it comes to my own computer and I'm
not ashamed to admit it, and both kde and gentoo have a philosophy that
encourages creation of the levers necessary for a user to assert the level
of control I like, while at the same time automating where it makes sense
-- which is what a computer is /supposed/ to do! =:^)

(FWIW, that's one thing that has me a bit puzzled about gentoo/gnome
folks.  Gnome is known for its "users are too dumb to know what's best for
them" attitude toward configuration, and while there's certainly a place
for such a centralized pre-made choices desktop environment, I've always
had difficulty correlating that with gentoo's "the user gets the ultimate
control, even to overriding our default policies if they see fit"
mentality.  To me, that has always seemed a FAR better match for kde's "if
there's a scenario where a rational user could make a different choice,
yes, set a rational default but expose that option to the user", attitude.

Meanwhile, gnome and the ubuntu style seem to be perfectly logical matches
-- tho it could have been predicted that someone like Shuttleworth would
ultimately decide his centralized decisions made more sense than those of
gnome.  Perhaps that explains why kubuntu really hasn't worked out so
well, too.  It's simply not a particularly good match.

I just don't see what a gentoo user would find of interest in a hand-tied
desktop environment such as gnome, is all. <shrug>  But obviously some
find something worth the trouble.)