[kde-linux] Re: Panel widgets alwais to the left

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Apr 20 16:49:15 UTC 2011

Alex Schuster posted on Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:49:01 +0200 as excerpted:

> KMS, right... another thing to try. So I did, I built an identical
> kernel, except that KMS was off. BTW, is there an option to toggle
> this by a boto parameter, like 'nomodeset' to diable the gallium stuff?

There is, assuming "boto" means boot...

Actually, nomodeset is it, AFAIK.  That turns of kernel-modesetting.  I
believe a side effect would be turning off gallium as well, since AFAIK,
gallium requires kernel modesetting (not userspace), but as you can likely
deduce from the parameter itself, nomodeset as a kernel parameter tells
the kernel not to modeset, therefore, no kms, ums (user-modesetting)
instead.

Since unlike kms/ums, the difference between gallium and classic but kms
drivers is entirely X config, that can be set after boot, from userspace,
while kms cannot.  Presumably, you'd have xorg.conf.d (or xorg.conf if pre
xorg-server-1.8 or if you prefer it) settings for both gallium and classic
drivers, using only the single driver line in the device section to switch
between them.  That could be done via sed in a script, if you want to be
able to run either one, and that in turn controlled by a kernel commandline
option if you wanted to set it at boot and then boot directly into X and a
*dm instead of using the CLI login and startx, as I do here.