[kde-linux] Re: Dolphin is a trap

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Apr 17 17:22:03 UTC 2011

On Sunday, 2011-04-17, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
> I run kde4 under Suse 11.4.
>
> My attempts to introduce a space in Dolphin where I can write the
> address of a file (analogous to that for the URL in a browser) failed
> completely. But unfortunately I removed all the toolbars.
>
> Since there is no way to restore them, I uninstalled Dolphin and the
> reinstalled it. But that did not help. After the reinstallation, Doplhin
> shows up again without any toolbar. Before I reinstall the complete
> kde4, I want to ask if there is a trick to have the toolbars back more
> easily.

Just as a general rule:
changes by a user never effect the installation because normal users (as in
not "root") cannot write into directories where files are installed to.

If one isn't sure whether something happens because of a user change or
because something broke in the installation for whatever reason, creating a
new user account and checking there helps a lot.
If the new user gets a non-broken situation it is definitely not broken in the
installation itself.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring