[kde-linux] No panel/taskbar after going to single monitor

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:58:41 UTC 2011

Hi,
   I've got a KDE problem. I needed to move a monitor on one
dual-screen KDE box to a different machine. I physically removed what
was the second monitor, modified the xorg.conf file to remove all
references to the second screen and rebooted. I now get a normal login
screen with entries boxes in the middle of what is now the only
monitor attached to the system. However once I log in I get only
wallpaper and don't see any panel/taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
As KDE doesn't even give the option to open a terminal using a right
click I don't know how to proceed.

   Any ideas what I can do to make the system useful again?

Thanks,
Mark