[kde-linux] Using KRandRTray on openSUSE11.3

Rajko M. rmatov101 at charter.net
Sat Sep 18 00:29:26 UTC 2010

On Thursday 16 September 2010 17:39:42 oss wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> can i have a qualified answer for <*Why "KRandRTray"-Utillity is wrong*>
> under openSUSE 11.3 ?
> My intension is to get a full qualified answer, how i can made after
> install openSUSE 11.3 and give a html-document for instructions to other
> users ...
>

> $ sudo /usr/bin/krandrtray

You don't need sudo nor path /usr/bin/ to run krandrtray, start it as user
with:
krandrtray

What you tried is to use it as root user without environment set for root
user. If you really want to run KRandRTray with super user privileges then:

kdesu  krandrtray

Again you don't need full path as /usr/bin/ is in every user $PATH.
This time you will see some debugging output in console, that will tell you
what kdesu is doing. Debug output starts after environment is set.

You can't see KRandRTray setup window when started as root.

Be careful when running normal user commands as super user from normal user
session, as command can create files with root owner in user home directory.
Later programs started as normal user can't overwrite their setup and
configuration files, and you can't use that application, or you can't change
settings.

--
Regards,
Rajko