[kde-linux] KOrganizer

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Sep 15 23:21:35 UTC 2010

John Layt posted on Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:25:46 +0100 as excerpted:

> James,
>
> What version of KOrganizer are you running, 4.4. or 4.5?  It has been
> widely advertised that KDEPIM 4.5 (which uses Akonadi in KOrganizer and
> KMail) has _not_ been released yet as it it not ready for public use.
> If you are building from scratch as usual then you shouldn't be building
> KDEPIM from the 4.5 branch or from trunk, stick to the 4.4 branch which
> works fine with kdelibs and kdepimlibs 4.5.
>
> John.
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd"> <html><head><meta
> name="qrichtext" content="1" /><style type="text/css"> p, li {
> white-space: pre-wrap; }

I know you're a dev and I sincerely thank you for your work, but could you
please turn off the HTML?  It's terribly annoying!

@ James

As you may have read between the lines, in dev-speak, KDEPIM2 refers to
the "akonadified" version, while KDEPIM1 refers to the legacy setup, with
each app duplicating the information it needs and no easy way to share
info between apps.  The still-beta kdepim-4.5 is KDEPIM2, but there were
still some corner-case issues and kde (or at least the kdepim guys)
decided it wasn't ready for full release with the rest of kde 4.5.  They
returned to the "we'll release it when it's ready" philosophy that early
kde4 was so noisily condemned (including by both you and I, among many
others) for ignoring.

As a result, the released version of kdepim remains the KDEPIM1 based 4.4
series, altho they *HAVE* released a kdepim-4.4.6 (only kdepim, *NOT* the
rest of kde) which includes a few bug fixes over top of the 4.4.5 release.

As can be gathered from the above, I'm certainly pleased with the decision
to wait on KDEPIM2 until it's really ready.  Too bad the rest of kde4
didn't do likewise, but of course, that's history that can't be changed
now, and I'm glad /someone/ finally "got some sense" in this regard.  I
don't mind running betas and in fact love FLOSS's release early release
often philosophy, but I don't expect full releases to be betas (or even
alphas) underneath, which is what was happening with early kde4.  So I'm
extremely glad the kdepim guys decided to "do it right". =:^)

So what you should be building (unless you are deliberately playing with
the beta) is kde 4.5.1, except for all of kdepim, which should be 4.4.6.