[kde-linux] Re: KnetworkManager doesn't work since 3.5

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Nov 7 21:57:35 UTC 2010

Werner Joss posted on Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:47:02 +0100 as excerpted:

> Am Sonntag, 7. November 2010, um 17:23:28 schrieb iberlynx:
>> How am I going to get knetworkmanager to run ever again??
>
> hm, as you are running kde 3.5, which has been abandoned long ago, I
> guess you'll be out of luck, here.

There's something wrong with this picture, tho I don't know what.  He says
3.5, but doesn't specifically say /what/ is 3.5.  The first logical
assumption is that he's talking /kde/ 3.5, which makes sense at first.

But /then/ he mentions just upgrading from 3.4, and kde 3.4 is /way/ old,
to the point it throws the whole picture out of whack, thus the "their's
something wrong" conclusion.  If he just upgraded from kde 3.4 then 3.5
can't look so anachronistic after all, to him, but OTOH, it's him that's
certainly anachronistic!

So I'm left to conclude that the assumption that 3.5 refers to the kde
version must itself be incorrect, since that's at least reasonably
narrowly possible, but that he's only now upgrading from 3.4... really
doesn't make a lot of sense at all.

What /does/ the 3.5 refer to then?  Maybe knetworkmanager (which I don't
use) itself?  I don't know its versioning, so that's possible, from here,
but I /believe/ knetworkmanager is integrated with kde itself, so should
carry the same version info as kde.  But maybe that's wrong.

Perhaps it's a simple mistake in versioning.  Perhaps, like many of us, he
ran kde3 for so long and is/was so used to kde 3.x, that he made a mistake
and he really means kde 4.4 and 4.5.  Certainly, that'd seem to make much
more sense than that he's only now upgrading from kde 3.4 to 3.5.  But
while it's certainly reasonable, that's a rather big assumption to make on
the evidence at hand.

Maybe he means distribution versions 3.4 and 3.5, but in that case, which
distribution, and why is he referencing distribution versions 3.4 and 3.5
without telling us the distribution, on a list where we'd have no reason
to make the connection and all sorts of reason, lacking evidence to the
contrary, to believe it's referring to the kde version?

So for now, we're simply left concluding that the information as presented
is at minimum incomplete and may be entirely invalid.  There's simply not
enough valid information there to do anything with, regardless of whether
it's due to invalidity or incompleteness.

>> Because lately
>> I've been back to relying on the good old wicd.
>
> then stay with it - wicd is great :)

=:^)