[kde-linux] Re: KDE 4.5.3 - awesome!

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 7 18:16:20 UTC 2010

On 11/07/2010 07:57 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Saturday 06 November 2010 14:13:33 Pablo Sanchez wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I believe developers may read/lurk this list.  I'd like to
>> congratulate everyone on how wonderful KDE 4.X has improved from
>> iteration to iteration.
>>
>> I like the fact the `eye candy' can be dialed in to one's liking.
>> If someone wants to go to `11', they can.  I love that the software
>> has capabilities beyond my needs.  Very cool.
>>
>> In short:  well done and thank _you_!!!
>>
>> Cheers,
> So far KDE 4.x that I have seen has been sluggish and clumsy to use.
> And one of the most useful parts of the KDE Suite, Quanta Plus, has
> not been rewritten to match.  So I use XFCE, after many years of using
> KDE. I have to have Qt 4 available because apps are moving to it. As
> for the rest, fugeddaboudit.
>
> If/when the eye candy gets out of the way and KDE becomes a
> workmanlike program launcher again I may revisit again. As of now I am
> happy to just say no.
>
> I expect to put up a Slackware  12.2 partition just to get at Quanta
> Plus. And I have already retrograded from Slackware 13.1 to Slackware
> 13.0 on my main partition. The Xorg folks are also fiddling to our
> detriment.
>
> Not every change is an improvement. But lately our string of bad luck
> has been astonishing.
Unless proven wrong, I still assert that the problem is Plasma.  It was
-- probably still is -- behind the curve of KDE-4.

While people are still working on KDE-3 (IIUC), it appears to me that it
would be more productive to port KDEsktop and Kicker to KDE-4/QT-4
without using composting.  That should be at least a partial fix to the
sluggish desktop.  I admit that Kicker does need some work since there
are 2 ways to put an icon on it and these can cause conflicts.  However,
Plasma chose the wrong one of the two methods and the problems still
existed, only worse.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch