[kde-linux] Re: KDE 4.5.3 - awesome!

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 17:27:41 UTC 2010

Werner Joss wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 7. November 2010, um 17:17:14 schrieb Pablo Sanchez:

>> In the end, it's all about choice
>>
> true, but in case of kde3/4 there isn't really choice, as the kde devs decided
> to completely abandon kde3 (and most distros have done so, too), which leaves
> those who can't/won't follow the mainstream, in the rain.
> (I know there are some efforts to keep 3.5 alive, but I doubt that will have
> much success)
>
> werner

I don't use it but Gentoo has kept KDE3 going in a overlay and from what
I have read it is working very well.  There is even talk of changing the
name and to just keep adding features and fixes for as long as someone
will work on it.  It sounds like it is doing really well from the posts
I have seen.

I do agree that KDE made a mistake in dropping KDE3 before KDE4 was much
more stable and usable.  I have said this before, if the KDE team does
that again, I'll be looking for another GUI.  I don't mind change but I
want something that is worth changing to first.  I already have fluxbox
installed and am playing with it some.  The way the switchover was
handled has really left a bad taste in my mouth to say it lightly.

By the way.  I'm using a 7 year old puter here.  AMD 2500+, 2Gbs of ram,
IDE drives with a SATA for data storage and a 19" CRT monitor with a
FX-5200 Nvidia video card.  KDE4 runs pretty good on this old thing.  Of
course, it would run faster on a quad CPU machine too.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)