[kde-linux] Help needed: KAuth and SystemSettings. (2)

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 22:45:51 UTC 2010

James Tyrer wrote:
> On 03/29/10 08:26, Dale wrote:
>
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> In the same message I told you that it requires root priveleges, so
>>> does not allow users to change it.

>>> Then there seems to be something strange about your system.  I did
>>> not need to jump through any hoops when I tested it, apart from
>>> starting systemsettings as root.
>>>
>>> Anne
>>>

>> Anne is correct, you have to be root to adjust the clock settings.
>>
> Please note that I am talking about KDE-4.4.1.

And that is what I am using as well.  We appear to be using the same
version.

>> You may be able to change time zones for your own desktop but you
>> can't change the time unless you are root.  Every Linux distro I have
>> used is this way for security reasons.
>>
> Well then I guess my system is different.  There is no need to start
> System Settings as root.  You just open it and go to Date&  Time. In the
> upper left it should say under: :Date and time settings":
>
> 	You will be asked to authenticate before saving
>
> Change the date or time and click the: "Apply" button.  A dialog window
> titled: "Authenticate" should appear.  Enter the root password in the
> window to the right of: "Password for root", and click the:
> "Authenticate" button.
>
> This works, but it is NOT stable.  If it fails it becomes screwed up and
> you must close System Settings and open it again to resume to a stable
> (legal) state.
>
> You can also change the timezone the same way, but the: "Apply" button
> does not activate properly.  The best workaround is to change the change
> the date and change it back (without saving it), then when you go to
> the: "Time Zone" tab, the: "Apply" button will be active and you can
> save it.

I don't disagree that the way you described is one way this could work.
Keep in mind tho, KDE4 is not finished.  It still has a looong ways to
go before everything is working.

Honestly tho, I don't use KDE to set my clock.  I just go to a console
and use the date command, as root of course, to set the clock.  I also
use ntp to keep it set.

Dale

:-)  :-)