[kde-linux] No Systemsounds

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 18 10:43:59 UTC 2010

On Thursday 18 March 2010 07:21:47 Ingo Klöckner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using sidux with KDE 4.3.4.
> Problem: no systemsounds and no sound with amarok, other applications like
> Kaffeine, vlc and videos in Opera have sound.
> How can I find the reason? I thought amarok and kaffeine are using the same
> (kde)soundsystem?
> It worked some time ago so it gets lost on one of the last upgrades....
>
> Settings:
> alsa, HDA NVidia (VT1708S Analog)

The only time I had that particular problem I found that it was cured by
changing the backend (SystemSettings > Multimedia) from xine to gstreamer.
After a later update I was able to change it back, so I assume a bug got
fixed.

Other than that, open alsamixer in konsole, and check that all channels are
properly set.  If you are using pulseaudio you need to specifically look at
the sound card - there's a prompt for it, and I think F6 is the keybinding.

KDE Community Working Group