[kde-linux] JPEG 7 vs KDE-4.4 (DLL HELL comes to Linux?)

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 12 14:14:38 UTC 2010

Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Fri, 12 Mar 2010 04:23:27 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> James Tyrer wrote:

>>> This message appears to be coming from the JPEG library.  So, this
>>> appears to be a bug.  If KDE functions require version 62, then the
>>> build system needs to be able to link to it by version number.  I don't
>>> have a lot of experience with CMake, so I don't know exactly how to do
>>> this as I would with autotools.
>>>
>> Jpeg 8a gives the same error message with a different version.  This is
>> a JPEG error message.  It is in jerror.h at line 57.  Could this be a Qt
>> bug?
>
> It's coming from the jpeg library, yes, but what it's indicating is that
> you still have something built against 6.x (6.2, maybe 6b, whatever).
> It's something built against 6b or whatever that's calling/loading the
> library, and getting 7 (or 8a) instead of 6b or whatever.

I appear to have found the problem.  Qt did not properly relink the JPEG
plugin.  So, a: "make clean", "make", & "make install" appears to have
fixed the problem.  II(now)RC, I read somewhere that one shouldn't
depend on the Qt build system of properly rebuilding when library
versions are updated.

> As I mentioned, Gentoo has a script (called revdep-rebuild) that detects
> and suggests a rebuild of such (reverse) dependencies.  The core of it is
> ldd

Will this run on other systems?  Actually, what is needed is more than a
script, we need a package manager that works by actually looking at what
is installed.

I have a more simple script that searches for strings in LA files.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch