[kde-linux] JPEG 7 vs KDE-4.4 (DLL HELL comes to Linux?)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Mar 11 23:46:52 UTC 2010

James Tyrer posted on Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:01:21 -0700 as excerpted:

> James Tyrer wrote:
>
>> Wrong JPEG library version: library is 70, caller expects 62
>
> This message appears to be coming from the JPEG library.  So, this
> appears to be a bug.  If KDE functions require version 62, then the
> build system needs to be able to link to it by version number.  I don't
> have a lot of experience with CMake, so I don't know exactly how to do
> this as I would with autotools.

I wonder... you said you didn't rebuild it all, only some, and have both
versions installed.  I wonder if you're getting both versions loaded and
fighting against each other, or if the first version loaded is trying to
be used where only the second will work?

FWIW, I have jpeg-8a installed here, build the system with --as-needed in
LDFLAGS and run lafilefixer --justfixit regularly after updates to fix the
stray la files that point to other la files, so the point to the libraries
directly (this so Gentoo can remove la files over time without the whole
house coming down on them), and thus only have perhaps a tenth the revdep-
rebuild updates I'd have to do otherwise with such upgrades, and it works.